Search engine optimization is a methodology of strategies, techniques and tactics used to increase the amount of visitors to a website by obtaining a high-ranking placement in the search results page of a search engine (SERP) — including Google, Bing, Yahoo and other search engines.
Why is it Important?
An important aspect of SEO is making your website easy for both users and search engine robots to understand. Although search engines have become increasingly sophisticated, they still can’t see and understand a web page the same ways humans can. SEO helps these engines figure out what each page is about, and how it may be useful for users.
Is on-page SEO more important than off-page SEO?
To achieve maximum exposure in the search engines and maintain your user’s happiness, both off-page SEO and on-page SEO are important. In many opinions, on-page SEO is more important and I will explain below why.
1) ‘Speak’ the search engines language: With SEO, and especially on-page SEO, your goal is to help them understand what your website is about. In other words, the more signals you can give them, the better your chances are to achieving better rankings.
2) On-Page SEO is about the user as well: Never forget that your primary target is to maintain your user’s happiness. Off-Page SEO may bring traffic to the website, but if it isn’t setup correctly and isn’t user-friendly, then the results will be disappointing.
3) Many websites get it wrong: The majority of websites today are not optimized for search engines. Despite the plethora of information about SEO, many website owners believe it isn’t worth doing. For those cases, on-page SEO has a lot to offer; both in terms of usability, but in terms of traffic as well.
4) On Page SEO is sometimes all you need: If you are running a website for a small business and you need to get local customers searching for various terms on Google, then on page SEO is all you need to do.
5) Off page SEO comes after on page SEO: In order to start thinking about how you can promote your website, you will need to be sure that the website is optimized and in good condition. The best step would be to work with on-page SEO first and then move to off-site.
Hopefully you have gained a good understanding of the basics of SEO. You should now understand that an online presence is crucial for everyday businesses and an SEO strategy can help make you stand out above your competitors.